Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Salzburg, Innsbruck, Venice, Munich, Bavaria, and Dachau

Wow, what a week! It's so amazing how much of Europe you can fit in only 7 days, and yet feel like you were on the road for weeks. At first we went to see if the hills were really alive with the sound of music and maybe see high on the hills that lonely goat... but the rain must have scared the goat away and took the sound with him. Despite the weather, I really enjoyed Salzburg very much. When we first got there we walked around and saw the old town, the beauty of the Alps, Mozart's birthplace, a few places where the sound of music was shot at, and the Fortress at the top of the hill. The next day we went to the Salt Mines, which were really sweet (errr...salty?) I liked them. Then the day after we took the Sound of Music Tour! Which brought us to all of the outside locations the film took place in: The Gardens, the streets, the churches, Captain Von Trapp's mansion, and the gazebo. The rain kind of made everything a little less enjoyable, but it was still fun.
Then we went off to Innsbruck, Austria to meet up with the Spring Breakers from Franklin Pierce. Some of us went up the mountain and took a lot of pictures, after the whole group of Vienna students took a tour of the city.

The next day was a free day, and I went to VENICE, ITALY! W00T!
Venice was amazing. We left at 5am, got there at 11am, went to a glassblowing place and watched some guy make cool things out of glass, and then we were left to wander on our own at noon. I walked all around and took many pictures and got many souveniers. Venice was just beautiful. I loved it. We left at around 4pm and that pretty much sums up the day.

The next day we left for Munich and did our art presentations and then go to the Hofbrauhaus! Which is where I believe Oktoberfest is held. The next day we went to Bavaria and saw CrAZy Ludwig's Castles. One of the castles gave Walt Disney the idea for the castle in Disney World, so it was cool seeing what inspired him. Overall though, I wasn't too impressed. That night i walked around the city and went to the Hard Rock Cafe and other places around town.
The next day we went to the Bavarian Film Studios, which was cool because we saw the sets of many European films and even acted in our own =) I was the purple guy from Star Trek. We even got to see Falcore... from the Never Ending Story. After that I saw something that wasn't something I was enthusiastic to see, but something I had to see, and that was Dachau Concentration Camp. It was so overwhelming that I didn't know what to feel because I felt angry, sad, depressed, free, and about 10 other feelings at the same time. I went to the memorial there and payed my respects to the 7 children my grandfather lost in the Holocaust. The hardest thing was seeing the Krematorium and walking through the gas chamber and seeing the ovens. It's something I hated to be put through, but I wanted and needed to.
That night we left back for Vienna and it ended our 1 week on the road. While it was very tiring and fast paced, it was so worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment