Tuesday, March 31, 2009


Me in front of the Pegasus Statue the von Trapp Children danced and sang Do Re Mi.
I also sang that song while there.

This week was the first trip that was traveled as a group. Salzburg, Innsbruck, Venice and Munich all in 8 days. It was exhausting and fun.

In Salzburg I got the chance to really see a beautiful Austrian town, not that Vienna isn't beautiful but it felt great to get out of a huge city. I went up to the fortress that at one time was Salzburg protection and then went on The Sound of Music Tour. This was something I had been looking forward to since I watched the movie in class. It was pretty interesting but a little disappointing since the weather wasn't that great. After that tour the following day I got to go to a Salt Mine in Dumsburg. Traveling under the mountain by train and then by slides was a lot of fun and learned a lot about the salt industry. I think Salzburg was probably my favorite place to visit.

After a 2 hour train ride I arrived at the next destination of Innsbruck. Surrounded by mountains it was another amazing sight to see. At the time of this trip FPU was also on spring break there. It was great to see familiar faces and catch up on news going on back at Franklin Pierce. I only spent about a day and 2 nights there since the day after I arrived I took a day trip with the rest of the FPU students to Venice. It was 5 hr. bus trip with a hilarious tour guide Angelica ( i don't think she was trying to be funny but she was.) This was probably the longest day ever getting up at 4am and then not returning until around 10:30pm and having to hike back to the hostel but I am so happy I got to see Venice. And it was a great day filled with warmth and sun.

After this small excursion I left and ventured to Munich Germany. Once I got there I hit the ground running and didn't stop until I was in my bed back in Vienna on Saturday night. I started right away going straight to the Museum of Modern Art and presenting about Fritz Winter. This Museum was interesting but neat to go to. But what I was really looking forward to was going to the beer garden called Hofbrau Haus. After an unforgettable night of having a German time we traveled the next day to the Castles. The one that i was looking forward to seeing was Neuschwanstein Castle. This was built by King Ludwig II he was a king who loved building castles. This castle was based on Richard Wagner's operas. It was extravagant and I loved it. The mountains that surrounded the castles were so beautiful and snow covered with snow falling it reminded me of something out of a book like the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. After this long day outside seeing the castles I got to go to the Bavarian Film Studio. This was something I didn't think I would really care about and just do it to do it. It turned out to be AWESOME. The Never Ending Story was filmed there and I was able to ride Falcore the Luck Dragon and I also bought slippers. Even the rest of the sight was amazing. I really enjoyed myself and this is something that surprised me and I am happy it did. After the morning film studio I ventured outside of Munich to Dachau Concentration Camp. This was eye opening. I know that people have moments that change their lives forever and I thought this would effect me more but I went to the Holocaust Museum in Washington D.C. and that seemed to have more of an effect. But this was still an extremely important piece of history to visit. I was surprised to know how big a camp was as well as that there weren't just Jewish people there but also others like gypsies, mentally challenged, gay and even other religious people were sent to camps. I learned a lot and it was still a moving experience but just not what I expected. After this day I RAN to the train to catch the one that would arrive in Vienna at 9:30pm. It was fun like training for the Amazing Race.

I made it safely back to Vienna tired and ready to relax for a week until my next adventure to Paris. There was a lot of new experiences and it felt like a lot longer then only 8 days! Everything was worth it and I am happy to be here and experiencing everything I can.

1 comment:

  1. Very good this culture exchange, I really love travel too. Good work.

    ReplyDelete